Senior BD Manager
Location : London - Bishops Square
We currently have an exiting opportunity for an experienced Senior BD Manager to join us to provide strategic business development advice, practical marketing support and financial and operational support to a significant international practice group. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced business development professional to take a lead role in the management of the Intellectual Property practice group globally. The role will also take specific responsibility for supporting our technology transactions lawyers being part of the senior BD team driving our technology vertical. Importantly, this role will also be expected to fully support and drive change within the BD team around continuous improvement to the value of our BD service platform, role clarity and focus.
Role and responsibilities
- Use an understanding of the field of intellectual property and a knowledge of IP-rich industries such as technology and life sciences to identify new business development opportunities and then formulate tactical plans to seize these opportunities.
- Business development strategy planning for the IP and technology transactions practices, based on the objectives set in relevant business plans, which in broad terms defines the future marketing activities for each financial year.
- Play a client facing role supporting partners in the management of key client relationships and in new business development opportunities.
- Ensure that the business development activities undertaken by partners are likely to help us improve our financial performance.
- Analyse and assess the appropriateness of our client list and make recommendations for changes including clients that should be deemphasised and those we should be either actively targeting or investing more time in.
- Look for proactive opportunities to raise the profile of the firm’s IP and tech capabilities to both our internal and external audiences.
- Develop and implement pitch and matter debriefs including interviewing clients to assess the quality or otherwise of their experience. Make recommendations to partners based on the findings from these meetings.
- Develop strong relationships with partners across the firm who have an IP or tech element to their practice.
- Directly manage the business development team members in London supporting IP and technology transactions/commercial team monitoring progress on tasks to ensure the efficient delivery of proposals and other marketing programmes and providing coaching and mentoring to develop the individuals.
- Coordinate, coach and mentor those fulfilling these BD roles in other geographies.
- Liaise and work with other members of the BD team and other support teams (eg Know How/Finance/HR) to improve the co-ordination of activities across the firm, both in London and internationally.
- Graduate (plus commitment to, or existing additional professional marketing/business qualifications).
- Substantial relevant marketing experience (within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with senior management).
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global IP/technology market/practice (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition, and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area). Previous IP or tech transactions market experience would be desirable.
- Experience in selling concepts and presenting up to Board Level.
- Proven track record of achieving strategic business objectives and using this experience to assess people and financial resources required for specific projects.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. This role is not about ‘power’. It is suited to people who can, and like, achieving results through influence.
- A proactive approach, creativity, tenacity and energy.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Professional in outlook and attitude.
- Politically astute – can make tough decisions and follow through; anticipates future areas of risk for the practice and takes appropriate action to address these.
- Experience of managing and developing the careers of managers, executives and assistants.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan, anticipate workload of the team and manage others’ time efficiently, balances conflicting priorities and does not over-commit team and themselves – always manages expectations.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.