Business Development Projects Manager – Corporate (12 month contract)
Location : London - Bishops Square
We are currently recruiting for a Business Development Projects Manager to join our London office on a 12 month contract. This is a central and pivotal role within the London and Global Corporate Business Development team leading on a number of high-profile projects and campaigns, specifically building A&O’s relationship with corporate clients in the UK and across the firm. The role works closely with the Global Head of Corporate BD and the Senior Manager – London Corporate BD and as a key member of the London team, to ensure high-quality and efficient execution of strategic BD actions. It is a broad BD focused role, but with no pitching involved.
Role and responsibilities
- Work with Head of Global Corporate BD to roll out updated Global Corporate strategy and provide regular updates on progress to the wider business
- Play a lead role in Global Corporate practice projects and development of key pieces of thought leadership, both externally to increase our profile in the market as a leading player for complex cross-border M&A eg via regular publications such as M&A Insights and via roll out of flagship client presentations, as well as development of our website presence on allenovery.com and internally to build collaboration and share insights.
- Oversee the client communications process with UK based and multinational corporate clients and ensure key corporate clients receive the full suite of added value services eg legal briefings, bespoke training, seminars and online services. This includes overseeing the London Corporate practice’s approach to social media and encouraging best practice internationally.
- Lead responsibility and oversight of CRM system (EPiC) for the London Corporate practice. This includes managing the process for capturing marketing descriptions, maintaining the library of standard text, brochures and other key pieces of collateral, managing the process of logging opportunities as well as best practice oversight of email marketing via our email marketing tool, Vuture.
- Oversee the M&A and ECM league table submission process globally, to ensure we continue to secure top rankings in the market.
- As part of the Global Corporate strategy to increase partner focus on strategic and senior level CRM, this role has overall responsibility for delivering A&O’s programme of events and relationship touch points aimed at GCs, company secretaries, in-house legal teams and PAs at UK as well as international corporates (supported by the Central Events team and members of the BD and CRM team across A&O’s London office and network). The primary purpose being to enable multidisciplinary teams and practice groups to tap into our corporate client relationships. The role also provides support to wider London Corporate BD team members on BD best practice for events and the role of events as part of the strategic BD toolkit.
- Lead A&O’s ‘boardroom targeting’ programme in the UK aimed at cultivating and expanding A&O’s network of contacts via a series of BD touchpoints from publications to roundtables, to networking events, working with a small group of senior Corporate partners.
- Lead responsibility for corporate governance BD, including marketing of relevant online services eg AGMs online, Global Directors’ Duties, events and publications.
- Oversee expenditure and reporting on London Corporate BD budget.
- People management (approx. 15-20% of the role). Manage workflow, skills and development of four team members based in London and Belfast:
- Senior BD Assistant (based in Belfast)
- BD Assistant (based in Belfast)
- BD PAs (job share) (based in London)
- Graduate plus additional professional marketing/business qualification
- Relevant marketing experience (within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with senior management)
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of our clients, markets and services
- Proven track record of achieving strategic business objectives
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. This role is not about ‘power’. It is suited to people who can, and like, achieving results through influence
- A proactive approach, creativity, tenacity and energy
- High attention to detail and strong client focus
- Professional in outlook, attitude and appearance
- Politically astute – can make tough decisions and follow through; anticipates future areas of risk for the practice and takes appropriate action to address these
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead anticipate workload of the team and manage others’ time efficiently, balances conflicting priorities and does not over-commit team and themselves – always manages expectations
The Global Corporate practice is one of the largest of A&O’s practice groups and provides advice across the broad spectrum of corporate work including mergers & acquisitions, equity capital markets, joint ventures, disposals and corporate restructurings, as well as on general commercial, antitrust, employment & benefits, environmental and corporate governance issues. A&O is ranked in the top five for cross-border M&A (Bloomberg), in band one for Corporate/M&A in Europe and Globally (Chambers) and as an elite firm for antitrust (Global Competition Review). The Corporate practice acts for the world’s leading corporates, financial institutions and funds on their most strategic matters.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.